twitter
    Follow Pat On Twitter

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Rudy, same story

Publish Date:02/11/2010
By Patrick Tretina
NIU wrestler Dan Ruettiger has always been proud of his hard work. Many just don’t realize it’s his family’s tradition.

“His uncle is Rudy, you know,” said head coach Dave Grant. “Everyone calls him Rudy.” Grant is referring to Dan’s uncle, Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, who was famously depicted by Sean Astin in the 1993 film “Rudy.”

The younger Ruettiger was born into a family dominated by wrestling from the time he was a youngster.

“Since I was little, wrestling has been a part of my life,” Ruettiger said. “My dad and four of his brothers wrestled and three of my mom’s brothers also wrestled, so I grew up around the sport.”

The redshirt senior carries on the family tradition both with his nickname and impeccable work ethic, but doesn’t lean on the past to get by.

“It’s not really a big deal to me,” Ruettiger said. “I am happy for my uncle, but I motivate myself.” Ruettiger quickly used his motivation to make a name for himself while wrestling for Providence Catholic High School in New Lenox. He earned four IHSA State Championship qualifiers and was named a high school All-American three times.

After being redshirted to begin his freshman year, Ruettiger posted a 12-12 record at the 141-pound weight class. But Grant knew “Rudy” wouldn’t settle for a .500 season.

“He made it all the way to the semi-finals his redshirt freshman year,” Grant said. “He beat the number one guy that year after having a rough year.”

Ruettiger would go 10-5 his sophomore year before losing his starting position in early in his junior season.

But much like his uncle, Ruettiger didn’t quit. He regained his position mid-season and posted his second consecutive 10-win season.

“He was in wrestling shape mid-season,” Grant said. “Most guys would give up; Rudy was ready when his name was called, and he delivered.”

Ruettiger’s final season at NIU was shaping out to be another uphill battle when he lost the Nov. 6th Wrestle Offs to teammate Steve Zimmerman.

“I bring 100 percent,” Ruettiger said. “I don’t want to sell myself short and have any regrets after this season is over.”

That work ethic paid off early in the season, when Zimmerman went down with an injury and Ruettiger’s named was called once again to regain his starting spot.

“He’s got such a courageous attitude,” Grant said. “Once again, he kept at it.” Rudy has since kept his starting spot and hasn’t looked back, posting a 13-12 record with a team high four pins and eight wins by decision.

“Dan’s a tremendous example of what is important in wrestling,” said assistant head coach Ryan Ludwig. “He’s got guts and that’s what it’s all about.”

As Ruettiger’s NIU wrestling career nears an end, he took time to reflect on the last four years. “My road to becoming an NIU wrestler has been an emotional roller coaster ride,” he said. “I have had plenty of ups and downs. I have won some big tournaments, been a part of championship teams, and at times, I have questioned if I want to continue putting myself through the constant grind of this sport. But I did not want to quit and I don’t have any regrets. I want to finish off by accomplishing the goals I set for myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment